Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Lingering


Today I was driving in what is known in Oregon in November as a beautiful day. The day was clear, but cold. The trees in splendor known as fall colors. I began to think about how quickly my days go by, how I am always so focused on moving on to the next event, the next task, thinking about what needs to be done. I realized that I hadnt even stopped to enjoy this gorgeous day, I didnt stop and smell the crispness of the air, I hadnt even allowed the sun to shine on my face. So focused on the needs, the wants I forgot to feel what it is like to live.

When was the last time I lingered to watch my dogs play, my daughter smile, the trees change in this season of Autumn. How long has it been since I lingered in the moment, how long since I paused in my husbands arms to smell him, hear his heartbeat, feel his breath on my face. How long since I paused in my Saviors presence, felt the sweet silent voice that whispers to my soul, its OK, all is well. I havent lingered anywhere in such a long time. What stands in my way? The need for accomplishment, maybe the need for acknowledgement, the need to constantly move thru life at the pace society dictates.

It seems so much focus is on finding happy, getting the things that represent happy, I forget to stop and linger in the moment that is happy. This moment, this day, this time of my life I find is happy. So Shannon linger, enjoy it, forget about tomorrow, the tasks that lay ahead, smell the day, watch the dogs play, linger in your loves presence and know that your God and Savior loves you in this moment. All that is required from me is to simply linger, live and enjoy happy.

No comments: